Friday, September 7, 2012

Plan, Prepare and Prevent the Cigna Way!


Having the health insurance is so important, probably the most important tool you will have in your life. I had Cigna when I had both of my children, everything was completely covered and I did not have to worry about anything but my copay. Years later after we moved to Nebraska we had other coverage which has never matched the coverage I had with Cigna. Then 9/11 happened and my husband lost his job. He was off work quite a while and for the next four years life was unstable. Then tragedy hit our home I was diagnosed with A.L.L. Leukemia and we did not have health insurance. My medical bill for the hospital alone was over 700 thousand dollars, there is no way we could ever pay that bill off. Our lives have been taken over by this overwhelming debt, we can't afford anything else. 
My husband is gainfully employed again and has been for a while but the company my Mr. works for does not offer Cigna and the coverage we now have doesn't come close to what we enjoyed with Cigna. This is why I wanted to talk to you about Cigna and the importance of always having the right insurance, and how to take advantage of the coverage you do have.

You can't always predict the future but investing in preventive medicine and always taking advantage of the check ups that your insurance covers is so important. Because of our accelerated bills we have learned to budget my well care visits into our monthly spending. It is set aside for everyone in the family so we know we can get to the doctor with out owing anything. Plus more and more doctors offices are not allowing you to see the doctor before you pay the co-payment.

When you think of your health and the health of your family you need to think of the three P's, Plan, Prepare and Prevent. If you know that you are going to have certain costs associated with your health care plan for it, set aside the money so it is not overwhelming to you when you have the procedures done. Some things you can do to prepare is to know where the closest urgent care facility is. Often urgent care is much cheaper then emergency room costs. Also if your insurance has a hot line post that number by your phone, or have it programmed into your phone. A lot of time you can avoid costly trips to the E.R. by having a medical professional give you the advice you need over the phone and these hotlines are usually available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Be sure to Prevent any medical issues that can be easily controlled when caught on time by visiting your doctor each year for your annual physicals and don't say no to procedures because they may seem unpleasant. Be sure to take advantage of all the free services offered to you, ask what they are. If you don't know what is available to you call your provider and ask!. Being a cancer survivor I know how important it is to keep up with my doctors and always have the screenings done on time. 


“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Cigna. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.”