Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kim's Recipe Box: Cheater Posole

Kim's Cheater Posole:
I don't have time to fuss like a chef but I like my food to taste like I did .So I have found short cuts. I don't know if someone else does it like me but I made this up for us.

Posole is a pork and hominy stew and it is wonderful. We like it especially in the winter.

So first I get about a 5 pound pork shoulder roast and  cut it into cubes  and put it in a crock pot and completely cover it with water. I add cumin, some rosemary and oregano. I used to add salt but I don't add salt into anything anymore. I let it cook all day ( 4 to 6 hours until it pulls apart easily).

Then get a stew pot and  ladle(pour ) your meat into the pot. I add 1 large can of
enchilada sauce (I use mild because the Mr. does not like it too spicy) I then add one whole can of hominy with the juice that's in the can. I simmer about a half hour while I prep the rest.

Chop up the veggies: onion, cilantro, cabbage,radishes  and  wedge slice a lemon.

Once you are done with your prep, you ladle the meat and hominy stew in a bowl then top that with your raw veggies and a squeeze of lemon YUM!

I get 2 large cans of enchilada sauce and 2 large or 1 jumbo can of hominy
(you want a lot of hominy in the stew) and as you ladle out the stew you add hominy and enchilada sauce if you choose to add in  the juice from the hominy. You have to be careful not to add too much juice without seasoning it or you lose your flavors. This is an easy stew to feed a crowd with.


The Hard Way To Make Posole
1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
oregano, pinch
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
3 to 5 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder
1 cup canned chopped green chilies
Salt to taste
2 whole jalapenos, canned or fresh, chopped (optional)


PREP WORK
This recipe requires a simple prep. Prepare the onion with the 2 cloves, peel the garlic, chop the onion, peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, chop the green chilies and jalapenos if you are using them. Drain the hominy rinse. Now you are ready to start cooking.


HOW TO MAKE

Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.

Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos (optional).

Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth. Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.