Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recipes I Couldn't Resist!




Coffee Ice Cream Pie

Dessert and coffee go hand in hand -- and this delicious dessert proves it. One bite of this coffee ice cream pie and you'll have plenty of grounds for adding it to your recipe repertoire. Chill out with this sweet treat tonight... and every other night.

Ingredients
    1 1/8 cups chocolate wafer cookies, crushed 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted 6 tbsp. coffee-flavored liqueur 1 tsp. instant espresso coffee powder 3 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped 1 tbsp. unsalted butter 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened 2 tbsp. coffee-flavored liqueur 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened 2 tbsp. coffee-flavored liqueur 3/4 cup whipped cream, beaten stiff
Methods/steps
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture evenly onto bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake crust in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. In a small saucepan, heat 6 tbsp. of liqueur and espresso powder over low heat. Heat until warm and powder is dissolved. Stir in chocolate and 1 tbsp. of butter until mixture is melted and smooth. Allow to cool completely. Place vanilla ice cream into mixing bowl with 2 tbsp. of coffee liqueur. Using an electric mixer, blend together on low speed. Spread over bottom of cooled crust and freeze until firm. Then spread cooled chocolate mixture over frozen ice cream. Freeze pie until firm. Blend together chocolate ice cream and 2 tbsp. liqueur. Spread chocolate ice cream mixture over frozen chocolate sauce in pie. Freeze until firm. Serve pie with a decorative piped border of whipped cream around the inside edge of the pie.
Ready in 2 hours

Home made Egg Noodles
   


This is how I learned to make egg noodles and how I have been making them for almost 20 years.
I will tell you how I do it and then I will give you a recipe off the internet. I am one of those annoying cooks that eyes it and doesn't use measurements on items I am comfortable with. It's how I learned to cook most of the things I make.Also it is really hard to mess up on noodles, if it's too wet you add flour if it's too dry you add water. Easy Peasy! Anyway, this is how I learned to make egg noodles.Wash your hands, you will be using them very soon. Make a mound of flour on your board or counter top ( you won't be using a bowl with my method).Add a pinch of salt now if your going to. spread it all over the flour.Then make a well in the mound and crack your eggs one at a time (1 or 2 depending on how many noodles you are making) Be sure you crack those eggs as closely in the middle as possible. Now mix the eggs into the flour working all the flour into the egg keep kneeding until it is all mixed in, then add one 1/2 shell of water a little at a time mixing it with one hand as you sprinkle the water on your dough. It will be a little sticky and tacky so dust your counter and your dough until it is a nice consistency, it should be slightly sticky but not enough to stick to your hands anymore. As you work the dough fold it into itself pulling the sides up and pressing it into the center. Keep doing this until it feels a little like play dough. Now you want to dust the counter and roll out your dough. You want to roll it out pretty thin, I use a glass rolling pin filled with ice water . Now here is where my mom and I differ. She would roll it up like she was making cinnamon rolls and slice it like that. Then drape the lengths of noodles all over. I never had that much time or patience so I roll mine out straight and then cut them  up.. You are supposed to let them dry out a while but like I said... I usually never had the time so mine are usually very thin dumplings. I pop them into a boiling pot of broth or water , they will sink and you know they are done when they pop back up and start to float. My family LOVES noodles made this way, however I know plenty of people that think they are just awful because they tend to be heavy when you do it this way. I either make them to go into soup or my families favorite is to have them with some sort of meat and gravy to top them with.

The other way:


Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 egg yolks

Directions

  1. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add egg yolks and mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
  2. Press into a ball and cut in quarters. Roll out on floured surface 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick; cut to desired width and length. Lay on linen dish towel or wooden dowel to dry.
  3. Add to broth such as chicken or turkey and cook until done.
Taken from http://allrecipes.com