Monday, September 5, 2011

Our project

get the chrome cleaned up and the top put back together... My daughter and I went to yard sales last week and we found in the free pile this 1950's kitchen corner cabinet:
It was dirty, moldy and rusted... most people just passed by. I saw it and thought hmmmmm..... Now my daughter just got married and money is really tight for her. James her husband is in England now selling his possessions and getting his ducks in a row so he can come back and start the immigration process so he can stay here permanently. They got their first apartment together before he left and she has NO furniture. HMMMMMMM..The problem is my daughter rarely likes the same things I do...I pointed out this cabinet and said what do you think? She walked around it and stared hard and then declared I LIKE IT! So we wrestled it into my 1996 Toyota Camry trunk and brought it home. I should have taken better before pictures because it has a counter top with chrome trim, which I had already removed by the time we decided to document this treasure...
Then my daughter and I put on face masks and started to scrub...
After an entire package of steel wool was used up and the rest of the chrome removed we were finally ready for paint... We even got the Mr. involved in some of the hard stuff.. for instance the chrome that runs through the center is secured by a long metal rod that was totally rusted on there and he had to get that off for us. Then we looked at the laminate top. We had to get my husband to help remove the screws which were rusted on. He also helped remove the chrome trim. Upon turning it over we found and removed two wasp nests, which were luckily vacant of wasps. There was also the date stamp.
April, 20th 1953...wowwwww We discovered that the laminate on the top was still secured by the incredible glue they used in the '50's. Between the rust and that darn 1950's glue the laminate was stuck there was not an inch to wedge anything in there to pry it off. So my daughter and I dug into my tool box , got a screw driver and a hammer then started to try and get it in there to wedge the thing from it's base.When the Mr. heard whack, whack he came running to see what we were up to and soon that project was remove from us. He took it to his work shop where he did his thing and it was soon parted from it's base. He declared it too rusty for us to deal with. He took it and had it sandblasted. Finally we started to paint and here is what it looks like now:
All we need to do now to finish it is to get the chrome cleaned up and the top put back together...

No comments: