Monday, February 13, 2012

Viral Scare Tactics and Stories

I am going to cut and paste a story my beautiful, talented and VERY Smart daughter posted on her Facebook wall, then I am going to talk about why you should never just pass on these stories, and how to verify them.


Attention! Important!
Especially to the ladies we all care about...
A MESSAGE FROM THE OFFICE OF ATTORNEY GENERAL
STATE OF MICHIGAN :

SITUATION..
While driving on a rural end of the roadway on Thursday morning, I saw an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it.
For whatever reason, I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the Canton PD and they were going to check it out. But, this is what the Police advised even before they went out there to check....

"There are several things to be aware of ... gangs and thieves are now plotting different ways to get a person (mostly women) to stop their vehicle and get out of the car.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local Police Department where gangs are placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it....waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the abandoned baby.

"Note that the location of this car seat is usually beside a wooded or grassy (field) area and the person -- woman -- will be dragged into the woods, beaten and raped, and usually left for dead. If it's a man, they're usually beaten and robbed and maybe left for dead, too.

DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON!!! DIAL 9-1-1 AND REPORT WHAT YOU SAW, BUT DON 'T EVEN SLOW DOWN.

Oh yea, about the EGGS:
"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSHIELD, DO NOT STOP TO CHECK YOUR CAR, DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPERS AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY WATER BECAUSE EGGS MIXED WITH WATER BECOME MILKY, AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE THEN FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS. THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS, SO PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES.

THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE ARE UNSAVORY INDIVIDUALS WHO WILL TAKE DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."
Please talk to your loved ones about this. This is a new tactic being used. Please be safe. Get started NOW -- SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES TO BE CAREFUL AND BE AWARE OF EVERYTHING AROUND THEM SO AS NOT TO BECOME THE VICTIM.

WARNING # 3:
Some knew about the red light on cars, but not Dialing 112.
It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have always told her to never pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road,but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc. Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called,112 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
I never knew about the 112 Cell Phone feature. I tried it on my AT&T phone & it said, "Dialing Emergency Number."
Especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going on to a safe place. *Speaking to a service representative at Bell Mobility confirmed that 112 was a direct link to State trooper info. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about "Dialing, 112"

You may want to send this to every Man, Woman & Youngster you know; it may well save a life.

 While some of this is close to the truth none of this post is actually factual, and that is what scare tactic posts do, they take something that they heard or know to be true and they write a story and send it out. Some of it becomes viral and they want that. Don't be part of the trick. BE SMARTER then they are. It is always important to be safe and smart but why scare yourselves or someone else for no reason?

How you can check.
Google it!
Call your local law enforcement.

I have done both many times. When calling your local police office DO NOT dial 911 this is not a live threatening emergency. Either google their phone number or look it up in your local phone directory.

Also use a little common sense, take a look at the format and tone of the note, it is not formal as an official letter would be there are quote marks and that all telling OH YEAH ..that is a big OH BOY to me.

1) When I googled the first story because there are three here I found it and you can check it out on Snoopes, Urban Legends and Hoax Slayer while plausible this is not a true story and there has never been a reported incidence of this actually happening to a law enforcement agency in the U.S.

2) Egging to get you to stop, again is plausible however when I googled it Snoopes said there have been no confirmed reports of this.


So there is a lot of information out there on these stories an stories like them , if you look at the links I posted there are variations to the same stories because people change them to fit their areas like the one posted above 112 is a European number to reach emergency help while here in the U.S. it is 911 in some of the stories they have instructions to dial 77.

I want to note that there HAVE been cases where 
murderers and rapist have disguised themselves as police officers it is a very old trick. And if while on a dark and desolate road you should be alone and an officer tries to pull you over it IS okay for you to continue travelling at a safe speed until you get to a well lit business or open gas station. If the person behind you is an officer they will follow you and you can explain you were afraid. I had such an incident happen to me once. There were 2 officers on a very dark road playing scare the driver into speeding so we can get our quota. It was after midnight and I was driving on a completely dark road with no businesses on it until I got to the next town which was at least an hour from the last one,plus I was alone. I was driving at the speed limit when I noticed in the rear view mirror 2 tiny white dots, I wasn't worried because they were so far away. But they came up really fast and were directly behind me, still I wasn't worried I thought they would pass me since they came up so quickly, but the driver didn't he stayed right there and rode my bumper. Then I got scared, when I got scared enough and imagined lots of nasty things that were about to happen to me. The driver had stayed there for about a half hour and I was  near the next town so I sped up, as soon as I hit 5 miles over the limit the lights went on and I got pissed off... it was a trap. I noticed another police car at the county line pull out of a dark road and head back to where the one behind me picked me up. I knew this was a police man because he had the whole light bar on top of his car and not just one of those little lights anyone can buy, plus there was the other police car. But I was almost to the town so I kept going, I went to an all night gas station and stopped, the officer asked why I did not pull over and I chewed him out for scaring the crap out of me and told him I knew what he was up to and it wasn't nice to do this to women driving alone on a dark road so late at night, didn't he know how dangerous it was for us out there? I went on to tell him that I would have never sped up but he rode my tail and I was  fearful...he did not write me a ticket. I think it was because he didn't want me to tell a Judge about it all. And I would have, even if I had been legitimate speeding I could have kept going until I felt safe and they would not have arrested me or given me a ticket for trying to get away. It is legal to do what I did.

I also want to point out that now police are using in grill and visor lights to pull people over, so be aware and be safe if you don't feel safe, call 911 and tell them that a police man is behind you, it is not a normal light and that you are not evading him, just going to where you will feel safe.
They will find out if the officer is legit or not and let you know.