I got this from Hef's kitchen... I am NOT a VEGAN and I wanted to get that off my chest right away. However I have heard some interesting things about tofu and when I read Hef's blog letter today I was intrigued enough to send the Mr to get the ingredients..Yes Hef I am going to make your Vegan, chili stuffed peppers...YAAY ME!
I thought maybe you would enjoy them also so here is the recipe:
For 4 you'll need:
400g drained tofu
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cayenne powder
1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans drained
4 green peppers
- Soften the onion in a small amount of oil in a heavy based pan.
- Crumble the tofu in to the pan, then season with the chili power, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Fry the spiced tofu mixture for around 5 minutes on a medium heat to remove any excess moisture then add the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Then cut an oval shaped hole in the pepper, remove all the seeds and strange white bits and fill with the chili.
- Pop into a preheated oven for 20 minutes, until slightly browned on the outside.
- Serve with some boiled brown rice and enjoy!